Department of Music News
- Shelia J. Maye, Ed.D., Chair, Department of Music, Served as soloist for the
Concert of African-Americans featuring all compositions and arrangements by Moses Hogan, March 17,
2012 and participated as soloist for Theatrical production of "HELA" based on the life of
Henrietta Lacks and the HeLa cells she produced written by Huber Reeves and presented during the
School of Liberal Art Black Family Conference Luncheon.
- Edward A. Ricks, Assistant Director, Co-Founder, Creative Director of the
William High School Drum & Color Guard Unit knows as "Special Forces", Portsmouth, VA.
- Jerry A. Bracey, Assistant Professor, Sutton Who's Who in Academia recognizes
Jerry A. Bracey as an Honored Member selected for inclusion in the 2012 Edition of Sutton Who's Who
in North America.
- Hampton University Concert Choir, performed for the Hampton University Alumni
Association in Washington, DC on February 25, 2012.
- Hampton University Jazz Ensemble and Vocal, Ensemble Performance at the Virginia
Department of Housing and Community Development.
- Orion Burke, HU Chamber Orchestra student, Margaret Phillips Davis Scholarship
- Mrs. Jaryn Crosby, Music Education Coordinator, The Department
of Music, Education Area was selected to initiate the program L.E.A.P. (Loving
Exercise and Physical Education) through the mini-grant SWAG campaign (Students with Aspirations and
Goals). The program will be lead by Music Education students, and will teach preschool students
at the HU Child Development Center about the importance of healthy choices through musical activities.
- Dr. Harvey Stokes collaborated in writing the following book chapter article publication:
Bell, Gladys and Stokes, Harvey. Advancing Digital Resources from the Black Musical Experience: An
Archival and Digital Challenge at Hampton University. Book chapter in The Black Librarian in America:
Challenges of the 21st Century. Edited by Andrew P. Jackson, Julius Jefferson, Jr., and Akilah S.
Nosakhere. Published 3/16/2012 by Scarecrow Press, Lanham, Maryland (ISBN-13: 978-0810882454).