Each entering freshman or transfer student must audition, so that the student's musical and technical proficiency can be evaluated. Below are the minimum audition requirements for Brass & Woodwind, Instruments, Percussion, String Instruments, Voice, and Keyboard: Piano and Organ.
The audition is required to become a music major. Students who pass the audition are not guaranteed admission to the University. Auditions may be by cassette or video tape or by a live presentation.
- Select a high quality CD or DVD.
- Record the following dialog at the beginning of the CD or DVD:
Name (state your full name)
Address (house number, street, city, state, zip, and telephone)
Student number (if assigned)
Intended major emphasis (Music Performance, Music Recording Technology or Music Education)
- Proceed to perform your audition. (If you desire, solos may be performed with ensembles, combos, and may be accompanied or unaccompanied.)
- Label your CD or DVD stating your name and instrument.
- Recorded auditions must be in accordance with the following guidelines: Audition Requirements
Dr. Shelia Jackson Maye
Chair, Department of Music
133 Armstrong Hall
Hampton, Virginia 23668