The goal of the Department of Education is to equip students with the knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions that will prepare them to become effective educators. We prepare educators who will be reflective, collaborative teachers and leaders who are dedicated to impacting K-12 education in an increasingly diverse, technological, and global society and who promote a lifelong commitment to learning. The Department accomplishes this goal by offering high-quality programs that provide experiences designed to respect the diversity of children, their families, and communities.
Students interested in professional education programs are encouraged to begin preparation for the Praxis I test upon entry to the university. The Student Success Center serves as a great resource to assist students in preparing for the test, which is required for program entry.
Students in the Department of Education must meet all entry, continuation and exit requirements. Students should seek advisors in both the Department of Education and the major area to obtain materials outlining requirements.
The Department of Education offers an experiential focused curriculum leading to the following degrees:
- Interdisciplinary Studies for Elementary Education (B.A.)
- Health and Physical Education (B.S.)
- Secondary Education in Biology, English, Mathematics, or Music (M.T.)
- Educational research in Gifted Education, Elementary Education, or Montessori Education (M.A.)
- Educational Leadership (M.A.)
- Educational Management (Ph.D.)
The Department has been highly successful in placing students in various areas of education. Students who graduate from the Department with teaching degrees are approved for licensure in Virginia and may qualify for licensure in 45 other states through reciprocity. Approximately 95% of the students majoring in education receive jobs within their field. The other 5% of the students continue on to graduate schools.
Education Advising and Assessment Center
The Education Advising and Assessment Center (EAAC) provides assistance to undergraduate and graduate students seeking a license to teach in the State of Virginia or aiming to become certified support personnel in education. Students are provided access to an array of resources to include the latest in test preparation for the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators, the Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) Examination, the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA), the Praxis Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (CKT) Test, the Praxis Subject Assessments, and the National Counselor Exam (NCE). Diagnostic assessments are conducted to assess students’ strengths and weaknesses, to ensure differentiation of instruction, and to meet the targeted needs of students. The Center is also open to non-education majors who are preparing for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The Center is located in Phenix Hall, Room 302.
Contact Us for Reading, Writing and Math Tutors 757.728.6735
Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday: 10AM to 8PM and Fridays: 10AM to 5PM.
All programs offered in the Department of Education are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). All programs are also approved by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
All students are prepared to pass all national and state professional entry and licensure tests. The Department of Education has been highly successful in placing students in various areas of education.
Students who graduate from the Department with teaching degrees are approved for teaching in 45 states without requiring extra certification courses.